Friday, January 11, 2013

I love/hate urban legends, let me explain...

I wrote my senior English paper on urban legends. They fascinate me to no end. The length of idiocracy that people will believe all because of fear utterly amazes me. And I am not immune to them either, I'll admit. I've fallen for a few chain-emails and social media posts. But, speaking of social media, urban legends posted on such sites annoy me to no end!

It could be because I can't stand to see the length to which the people I know personally are stupid and/or gullible. It irritates me when they fall for silly, simple, and see-through hoaxes (like Facebook supposedly donating money to a cause based on post shares and "likes"). 

But I think there's more to it... "Don't believe what you're told; double check" is one of my maxims. I think that what bothers me the most is that it doesn't seem to even cross the minds of other people. So very few just eat what they're fed and don't ask any questions. (I feel the same way about people and what they chose to eat.)

That is probably why I get so very irritated when I fall for them myself. Because I should have known better. They're still incredibly fascinating, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment